I just wanted to recognize my grandma, Afton Peterson who passed away recently. I enjoyed spending time with my grandma every week for a couple of years. We would go grocery shopping together when she was still mobile. I had her weekly grocery list memorized, and probably still do:
Donuts with chocolate icing
A small bunch of bananas
Sometimes 3-4 carrots)
Sometimes a cantaloupe or fruit mixture
A&W Rootbeer
Mini Twix or Milky Way candybars (for the grandkids, of course)
Honey Nut Cheerios and Frosted Mini Wheats
French bread
Orange Juice
Cheetos
Canned peaches in light syrup
That's all I can remember. As you can see, I had to try and sneak a few more veggies into her cart at times. No matter what, we'd always get home from the store, put the groceries away and she'd say, "Now, what am I going to eat?"
I love my grandma very much and am grateful that my little Taylor got the chance to meet her and receive a beautful white baby afghan that she made. I hope she is happy being out of this earthly body and being with my grandpa once again. We will miss you very much!
Afton Hill Peterson 1926 ~ 2008 Afton Peterson, 82, passed away on August 23, 2008 in Sandy, Utah from kidney failure.She was born July 11, 1926 in Payson, Utah, to Frederick Simeon Hill and Clara Jane Stark and was the youngest of 12 children. She married Robert Elwood Peterson on June 20, 1946 in the Salt Lake Temple, who preceded her in death in 1995. She was a dedicated member of the LDS Church, giving many years of church service, especially in the Primary. Afton was a beautiful seamstress and made dresses and clothes for her five daughters during their growing-up years. She loved her family and also loved to crochet and play games with family and friends right up to the end (especially Double Canasta and Rummikub). Afton is survived by her daughters, Peggy (Dave) Martin of Boulder City, Nevada; Karen (Dennis) Wanlass of South Jordan; Natalie Whitley (Gary Whitley) of Murray; Polly Cox (Tod Brenbarger) of Sparks, Nevada; and Becky (Tim) Hinrichs of Park City; brother, Glade (Doris) Hill; sister, Pauline Perry; brother-in-law, Kent (Millie) Peterson; 26 grandchildren and 33 great-grandchildren. Funeral services will be held Sat., Aug. 30, at 10 a.m. at Crescent Park 6th Ward, 10885 S. Pampas Drive (835 E). Viewing will be Fri., Aug. 29, from 6-8 p.m. at Wasatch Lawn Mortuary, 3401 Highland Drive, SLC. Interment: Holladay Memorial Park, 4900 So. Memory Lane (1990 E). The family wishes to express their gratitude to Jill Maxwell (mom's devoted Visiting Teacher) and to Millcreek Home Health, CareSource Hospice, and "Our House" of Central Sandy for their loving care during her final days.
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Grandma Afton
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Hmmm... Grandma and I share the same grocery list... we must be related.
Grandma and her carbohydrates! She was so funny! You were so good to go and visit her as much as you did. I feel guilty for not spending as much time with her as I should have. I think we all are very grateful for the baby afghans that she made for us! They will be treasured always!
Post a Comment